Cheltenham General Hospital is the base of the Gloucestershire Cellular Pathology Laboratory which has a satellite laboratory at Gloucestershire Royal Hospital. The Department currently has 13 Consultant Histopathologists and Cytopathologists (9 work full-time and 4 work part-time). There are also 2 Consultant Health Care Scientists in Cytopathology.
The Department is CPA accredited and there are 17 weekly or fortnightly multi-disciplinary team meetings carried out on both sites in meeting rooms that have teleconferencing facilities.
There is teaching of medical students, bio-medical scientists and more informal teaching of work experience students within the department. There are research opportunities available and the Department is actively engaged in audits both with internal audit systems and also participating in all available EQA schemes both regionally and nationally.
Trainees will gain experience in histology, cytology, frozen sections and post mortem examinations and will be introduced to managerial issues whilst within the Department. Autopsy training will soon be moved to a new purpose built public mortuary at the Gloucestershire Coroner’s Court Complex, approximately half a mile from Gloucestershire Royal Hospital.
- Surgical specimens per year – 40,000
- Cervical cytology specimens per year – 83,000
- Non-cervical cytology specimens per year – 5,000
- MDMs per month – 64
- Autopsies – 1,300
- Dr. R Bryan (uropathology, breast pathology and cytology)
- Dr. J Christie Brown (breast, lymphoreticular, lung, skin and head & neck pathology)
- Dr. P Craig (skin, head & neck and lung pathology)
- Dr. C De-Cates (breast and GI pathology)
- Dr. R Fulmani (uropathology, breast and gynaecological pathology)
- Dr. P Joshi (uropathology, lymphoreticular and GI pathology)
- Dr L Ludeman (uropathology, renal, gynaecological and breast pathology)
- Dr. J McCarthy (skin, head & neck, GI and lung pathology)
- Dr. V Petersen (breast pathology)
- Prof. N Shepherd (GI pathology)
- Dr. P Toner (uropathology and GI pathology)
- Dr. V Petersen (Specialty Tutor)
Trainees and Posts
- ST2-5 posts – 3 (1b banding, subject to yearly review)
- Personal work space
- Personal computer
- Personal microscope
- Internet access
- Text books and journals
- Library access with Athens
- Hospital postgraduate educational meetings
- Monthly Training School FRCPath study days (Severn and Peninsula)